Don’t Celebrate Before the Buzzer!
Have you ever experienced the last 3 minutes of a game? It could be any game. Even a game that doesn’t have time constraints. It could be the last inning, race, 20 meters…. I am referring to the moment when you could either give up, or keep pushing forward……
When we look at these last few weeks of December, we find ourselves filling out goal charts and ideas for the next year. We list out our goals and hopes for the next month, quarter, and year. But what we may forget is that the last few weeks of the year, can actually make or break our future. At Black Diamond Mortgage, we are working to get people into the their homes before the end of the year….but what would happen if we slowed down? Right before the end of the year?
Imagine this: you are playing a basketball game. You are ahead by 10 points with 3 minutes to go. You feel you have already won the game…..but, little do you know, your opponent is still trying to score so they can beat you. But, you slack off, and suddenly, you have 30 seconds left and the team you were playing is now 2 points behind you. Then they make a 3 pointer with 20 seconds left, they are ahead…..
OR Imagine this: You feel you have already won the game, but you aren’t letting up. You have 3 minutes, you are up by 10 but 10 points is still way too close. So you take a deep breath, look at the clock and say “I can do this, it’s only 3 minutes.” You find yourself running harder than you have ever ran. Stealing balls, driving the basket and working to find your open teammates so you can increase the gap. The other team is fumbling and end of putting you on the foul line. You take a breath, and sink more free throws to widen the gap even farther. You are NOT letting up.
The buzzer sounds. Have you won or lost the game?
In a Mortgage Transaction, things always come up, especially in the last 3 minutes. It is critical that we don’t ‘let up’ and ‘give in’ when we think it is over. As we end our year, we want to make sure our clients start their New Year off right and it starts with how we, at Black Diamond Mortgage, end our December.
How are you going to end your December? Are you going to back off and let it ride, or are you going to give it all you’ve got to finish tough!
Here are 5 things you can do to make December your best month.
1. Finalize ANY project in process – Don’t let it go to next year….get it done now!
2. Send a Christmas Card – December is a great time to reconnect with clients. Send them a Merry Christmas note!
3. Focus on where you want to be next December. It’s great to plan out the year, but big milestones will greatly impact your overall business goals.
4. Take a breath of fresh air. Don’t forget to take some time for yourself to reflect on the past year and what you did great!….BUT don’t dwell on past mistakes as it won’t do any good if you look at these in detail. Take the position of ‘I will get the job done’, and stick with it.
5. GET IT DONE! Walk out of 2016 feeling like you have already set yourself up for a positive new year. Don’t be frazzled come January 2nd. Feel empowered to keep moving forward in January.
Don’t be caught at the buzzer wishing you would have given it more at the end….